Max your travel money with our top tips for making your budget go further
Planning ahead when buying your currency can often put more cash in your pocket to spend on holiday. Read our top travel money tips to maximise your travel money and squeeze every possible Dollar, Euro and Lira from your currency exchange.
Plan ahead for best value
The key to pushing your travel money to the max is to plan properly. Start organising your holiday well in advance and you can be sure of getting a great rate on your travel money. Our Travel Rate Tracker is a hassle-free way to keep informed of currency movements. By signing up to the free email service, we’ll notify you when the rate gets to your pre-selected trigger level.
The difference between getting 1.5 or 1.6 US Dollars for your £1,000 means an extra $100 in your pocket! However, trying to work out when exactly is the ‘best’ time to change your currency can be an extremely tricky business because exchange rates change daily.
Our prepaid currency cards allow you to lock in your exchange rate at the time of load or reload, so you know exactly much you have to spend.
Take advantage of our Online Price Promise*
To max your rates it is worth planning ahead. Buying from Travelex.co.uk means you benefit from 0% commission on your foreign currency and if you do manage to find a cheaper overall price we’ll refund the difference. You can even have it delivered directly to your door or ready and waiting at the airport for you to pick up before you fly.
Remember, when shopping around you should look at the total cost of the currency you wish to purchase, not just the rate. That way you take into account any additional charges, or promotional discounts that may apply.
Free home delivery for orders over £500
It’s the little things that add up and chip away at your hard-earned holiday money. Delivery charges can be rather costly as it’s essential to use signed-for special delivery when sending cash.
If you buy over £500 of currency at Travelex.co.uk, we’ll send it to your door absolutely free, helping you to max your travel money even further!
Top Travel Money Tips
- Shop online to get the best deal. Travelex offers an online Price Promise, which means that if you manage to find a cheaper overall price, we’ll refund the difference.
- We recommend taking a mixed wallet of cash and a prepaid travel money card such as the Cash Passport. These foreign currency cards enable you to lock in your exchange rate at the time of loading and are separate from your bank account, which provides peace of mind for those worried about theft or fraud.
- Beware of hidden credit or debit card charges on overseas usage. The Cash Passport is free from fees on overseas purchases or cash withdrawals**.
- Avoid exchanging currency in your hotel. Our research has shown hotels offer the worst rates, so if you do leave it to the last minute or after your arrival, look for a reputable bureau to change your money.
- Don’t lose out on exchanging leftover currency. Travelex’s Buy Back Guarantee guarantees we will purchase your leftover currency at the same rate you purchased it, commission free.
- Be rate-wise whilst abroad. Keep an eye on the rates whilst abroad so you don’t lose out by incorrectly guessing the rate of exchange.
- Be aware of any restrictions that may apply to your currency. Some countries only permit you to take a small amount of currency in or out of the country, while others don’t permit you to take any at all. As this only applies to cash, a prepaid currency card is a safe alternative.
- Do your homework. Before you travel, find out if there are any local customs that apply such as tipping or whether it is acceptable to barter.
- If you only have large notes, try to break one when you arrive so you have smaller notes and coins on hand for incidentals tipping or taxis, who may not accept large denominations.
*Price Promise terms and conditions apply - click here
** Travelex will not charge UK cardholders for ATM withdrawals, but some operators may impose a fee. Travelex does not charge UK cardholders any fees for making purchases using their Cash Passport.