TRAVELEX UNVEILS THE NEXT GREAT TRAVEL WRITERS
Thanks to everyone who entered the Next Great Travel Writer competition 2017.
Hundreds of people from across the UK took part in the competition and the standard of entries was incredibly high. The judging panel has now reviewed the shortlist to find the most creative, the most inspiring, and the strongest from a technical perspective.
We’re delighted to announce the winners:
UK Winner 2017:
UK Student Winner 2017:
UK People’s Choice Winner 2017:
About the competition
Nothing excites the imagination quite like travel – and the very best travel writing can make us feel like we're right there, riding the dusty railways with Paul Theroux or sweltering in the heat of the Spanish sun with Hemingway at our side.
But if you're an aspiring writer, it's not always easy to get your voice heard…until now.
This winter, we're making it our mission to find the best new writing talent out there – and we're teaming up with Penguin to do it! So whether you're a student with editorial ambitions or you spend your days jotting down notes on your next voyage, we're giving you the perfect platform to tell us all about it, and also have the chance to win a one-on-one session with a Penguin editor.
The boring stuff:
- This piece needs to be unique to the competition, which means you can't submit something you've published elsewhere
- We're looking to showcase the talent of aspiring writers, young or old. If you're already paid to write about travel, then this isn't the competition for you
- You can only enter once – so take your time before submitting your entry
- Entries close at 11:59PM (GMT) on 5th February 2017 – we will not accept anything submitted after that date
- You have to be over 18 and a UK resident to enter (exc. Northern Ireland)
- Students can win the main prize. However, if a student is awarded the main prize, then the runner up in the student category, as decided by the judges, will be awarded the student prize
The part you've all been waiting for! One lucky winner will be given:
- A session with a Penguin editor & £1,500: The winner will get a money-can't-buy one hour session with a Penguin editor, packed with top tips, feedback on your work and advice on how to make it as a writer
- An additional bonus £500 prize for the best entry by a current university or college student
- We're also going to give the general public the chance to vote for their favourite travel writer as well. Using the powers of social media, we're going to award the person who, from the judges shortlist, gets the most tweets supporting their entry, that includes their unique hashtag, the TravelexUK twitter handle and the hashtag #NGTW a set of beautiful Penguin books