Explore the world you want to see
Have you ever thought about travelling solo? Take the plunge and go for it! It’s guaranteed to be a trip of a lifetime and one that you’ll never forget.
If you’re feeling a little nervous though, it’s completely understandable. All you need to do is read on and you’ll pick up our top tips and tricks that’ll make your trip the best one ever.
The beauty of travelling by yourself means that you get to spend your day exactly the way that you want to, doing exactly what you like. Put in a little bit of pre-trip planning and you’ll be sure to tick everything you want off of your bucket list. Here are our top tips on how:
- Start by getting inspired. There are thousands of incredible travel blogs out there to give you some serious travel inspiration, as well as some faith in all the other solo travellers of the world. Here are some of our favourites.
- Map out a rough idea of where you want to go and want to stay, but give yourself enough flexibility to jump at any opportunities that come your way as you travel.
- Think about pre-booking the most popular experiences and tours so that you’re not left disappointed when you get to your destination.
- Remember to take a great set of headphones along to the big tourist sites, so that you can listen to spoken tours on your smartphone.
- Get super organised and pick up your travel money before you go. Order your travel money online from us and you’ll be able to have it delivered right to your home or pick it up from one of our stores.
Make the most of travelling alone
Although solo travelling can make for the trip of a lifetime, you might sometimes find yourself feeling a little lonely out on the road. If this happens, don’t worry! It’s a totally normal feeling and there are plenty of things you can do.
- If you’re looking for an easy way to meet people, try joining a singles travel group or an organised trip. Everyone will be in the same boat as you and it’s a great way to make some new friends to share your trip with. If you’re staying at a hostel, there’ll often be fun day trips or evening events on offer.
- Don’t worry about eating by yourself; no one will think you’re strange. Simply enjoy the chance to sit back and watch the world go by, take a book with you or look back through your holiday photos. What’s more, there’ll be no one to judge you when you get that dessert.
- Check in with your loved ones back at home. They’ll always be happy to hear from you and a connection with home is sure to leave you feeling reassured and comforted.
Stay safe when travelling solo
Staying safe whilst travelling alone takes self-awareness and a little bit of planning. Here are a few simple suggestions to help you feel a little bit safer when you’re exploring the world.
- Make photocopies of your passport, your visa and your travel insurance details and email them to yourself, as well as leaving them at home with someone you trust. You could also leave the details of the place you’re staying too, if you’ve booked one in advance.
- Check out the government’s foreign travel advice for the destination that you’re visiting.
- Make sure that you always have enough local currency on you to get yourself safely back to where you’re staying. Or alternatively, you can keep your travel money safe and secure on one of our Cash Passports.